I am currently in a cafe in Vienna, resting my weary tourist feet from a very touristy day of walking around the city, and decided to write my first post in my vacation series. (I'm traveling alone now, so I have no one to provide company besides my little MacBook.)
Czechs have some interesting Christmas traditions. The classic Czech Christmas meal is carp with potato salad. The carp are sold from giant tubs in the streets and then either taken home where they are placed in the bathtub, or slaughtered on the spot. If the bathtub route is chosen, a brave member of the family must take an axe or knife and slaughter the carp. We did not participate in this tradition, as Alice is a vegan.
Czechs also eat a delicious bread called vanocka (Christmas bread). It is very lecker. I'm making it my life's goal to learn how to make it.
Like Germans, Czechs exchange presents on Christmas Eve. We also decorated the tree. Alice is very demanding about trees, so we had a two-tone color scheme so nothing would clash.
After dinner, the children are sent out of the room so that baby Jesus can come. Baby Jesus also brings sparklers.
Friday, January 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment