Monday, November 3, 2008

Kekse (Cookies)

My long search for Butternut Kuerbis was accompanied by a search for "real" brown sugar. The kind used in Germany is like Sugar in the Raw in America and not moist enough for American style cookies. Before you say "Don't worry, Erex. Just mix in some molasses," let me tell you that molasses is also hard to come by in the Land of the Deutsch. (It is a horrible place, this Germany, populated by a horrible people, the Germans.) I finally found some in an Asian food store. It doesn't quite have the taste of the American brown sugar, but it is okay.

First, I made some peanut butter cookies (Erdnussbutter Kekse). The results were delicious.



I also found "das eingedeutschte und kommentierte Rezept" for chocolate chip cookies. (Germanified and commentated...ist commentated ein Wort?). See, in this crazy country they weigh things instead of using cups. Weighing actually really appeals to my nature as a chemist. I am concerned about the low number of significant digits on the kitchen balance though. They also don't have chocolate chips in Deutschland. I had to use a combination of (GASP!) Lindt and Cote d'Or. Things are really rough here.



Medicat innocently inches closer to the cookies.

Haha! The American stopped watching me. Time to make a move! No, she didn't, Mieze. Kein Keks für dich.

Medicat was very intrigued by the chocolate chip cookies. She kept sitting on top of the tupperware they were in, but when I offered her a little cookie piece, she rejected it. Crazy kitty.

No comments: