Thursday, November 27, 2008

Frohe Erntedankfest! (Happy Thanksgiving!)

Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays. There is football, sweet potatoes, pumpkin pie, my wonderfully "unique" family. I also like the idea behind the holiday. A day to sit back with people you care about and be grateful for what you have. That is a pretty cool concept and something that we don't do enough.

However, today doesn't feel anything like Thanksgiving. There's no football, no delicious smells coming from the kitchen, no pumpkin pie, no fake boxing with the Gramps. No intense displays of affection from Geoff and Mike--I'm looking forward to a rib-crushing hug from Mikey upon my return. It makes me a little sad to be in lab and not to have anyone realize that this is not just a day like any other.

Despite the lack of Erntedankfest Stimme (Thanksgiving spirit), I can't help feeling blessed and thankful. I have turkeyless Thanksgiving to look forward to tonight, and Thanksgiving part two to look forward to this weekend. Also, I am getting paid by both the American AND German governments to live here for a year and do some chemistry. That is pretty awesome. I am thankful for all of my family members, be they biological, surrogate, American, German, or adopted Chinese. Frohe Erntedankfest, guys!

No comments: