Friday, November 28, 2008

Cooking, American-Style

This week has been a busy week for cooking, due in part to a desire to avoid working on graduate school applications. First, I made my squash ravioli on Monday. Needing to use the rest of the squash puree, I decided to make butternut squash-apple soup.

Mmmm...Vegetables

Medicat helped by ravenously licking out the leftover squash puree. Matt, we challenge you to explain this cat's love for all things not meaty. A co-evolution of Americans who cook squash and German house cats? Doubtful.


The finished product. Pretty delicious.


My next cooking project for the week was Thanksgiving dinner. I decided to forego the turkey, since I'll be eating turkey this weekend, as well as the pumpkin pie, since we'd already eaten squash twice this week. Also, the sides are really the best part anyways, in my opinion. I ended up making cornbread, candied sweet potatoes, stuffing, and green bean casserole (Grüne Böhne Auflauf).


You may be wondering what those five random circle on top of the casserole are. Well, those were my attempt at homemade french fried onions. The canned version don't exist in Germany and Alton Brown's version called for panko breadcrumbs, which also do not exist in Germany. I used some German breadcrumbs and then proceeded to burn the onions (they burned before the allotted time), except for the onions which you see in the picture. It tasted good, despite the lack of onion-ness.


Germans wondering what the heck this strange American food is/trying to convince the cat to look up for the picture.

No comments: