In order to improve my German skills and really experience German culture, I have decided to learn curse words and insults. Therefore, my labmates (really just Marcus) have been teaching me a new word every day. We call it das Schimpfwort des Tages. Here is what I've learned so far:
Arschgesicht- arse face
Plitschkuh- a bitchy woman (this one was apparently invented by Marcus. I'm not sure why he's not teaching me words that are more widespread...)
Schlitzpisser- something like a wuss. I don't totally get this one.
Trümmerlotte- this is perhaps my favorite. It is not to be confused with the Trümmerfrauen, the women who helped to clean up the rubble and rebuild German cities at the end of World War II. A Trümmerlotte is one of those women who is now old and ugly, but somehow has never realized it. She is "total schlecht angezogen and schlecht geschminkelt"--horribly dressed and made-up. Probably she is wearing clothes that are too tight and has horribly fake dyed blonde hair. I think this is a great word because I'm pretty sure we don't have a single word for this type of woman auf englisch. German is such a rich language. This is apparently a new word, because no one has really heard of it except Marcus. But when it is explained, everyone thinks it's awesome.
In order to master these words, I need to use them. Therefore, I have immunity when calling labmates (again, really just Marcus, but I've also received permission from other lab members) these names.
My mother does not think the Schimpfwort des Tages is a good idea and asked me why I was learning these words instead of normal German words. I could of course stand to learn more normal words, so I googled German word of the day, and one of the first words I came across was abhauen (piss off), which fits perfectly with the words I've been learning. Hau ab, du Arschgesicht! (This is not directed towards my mom--it is only an example sentence.)
Monday, February 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I love this post.
Post a Comment