Friday, October 24, 2008

Mietvertrag gekuendigt...check!

Some of you may be in suspense as to whether or not I got my apartment keys. I did. My room, however, is less than stunning. I have a feeling that this dorm may be some sort of ripoff for international students. It's far away from campus, but if you're im Ausland you wouldn't know that it's very possible to get closer apartments more cheaply. They even admit to charging international students more. So I got my keys and found my room and it is...a room. Bed, desk, closet, two burners, tiny fridge, tiny bathroom and a door. No oven. How can I bake without an oven? That's a silly question. I can't. How will I make apple crisp? I won't. I decided this situation was unacceptable. Also, the place was dirty. There were spices strewn about the cabinet and an old pair of work boots under the sink. In addition to these grievances, it seems like a really lonely place to live. Since everyone has their own "kitchen," there's no real need to go outside. There's no common room to hang out in. I got a really sad picture of me, coming home everyday to my room, heating up a can of soup, playing on the internet and then crying myself to sleep. And that is even more unacceptable than my inability to make apple crisp.

So I decided to ausziehen (move out) before I even einziehen-ed (moved in). However, I signed a lease that was good through the end of July. Would it be an insurrmountable mountain of German bureaucracy to get out of lease? It seemed that that would be the case. With great fear and trepidation, I went to the Wohmraumvermeitung office to ask. Surpisingly, it was not at all difficult. I wrote my name, room number, checked some boxes, signed it and now all I need to do is make an appointment with the Hausmeister to move out. Unfortunately, I had to give 2 months notice, so I will sort of move in until the end of December. I'm now on the hunt for a sweet WG (Wohngemeinschaft) in the city. We'll see how that goes, given my previous apartment hunting experiences.

No comments: